TLDR – To Long, Didn’t Read
- HTML is a Markup Language used for Web Pages.
- HTML is like the Skeleton of a Web Page.
- All websites online use HTML
- HTML is easy to learn
When a person uses a Web browser like Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Safari and others, they are using a protocol called HTTP aka Hyper Text Transfer Protocol or HTTPS which sends a request to a web server which is a computer in a data-center. That web server processes the request and generates the HTML documents that renders web pages. HTML describes the structure of a web page semantically. I like to describe HTML as the Skeleton of a website.
HTML elements are the building blocks of HTML pages. HTML provides a means to create structured documents for text such as headings, paragraphs, lists, links, quotes and other items. HTML elements work with HTML tags, written using angle brackets.
Tags such as
<img /> structure the content on the page. Other tags such as
<p> provide information about text and might include other tags as sub-elements. Browsers don’t actually display HTML tags, but use them to interpret the content of the page. You can also right click your mouse and view page source in order to view the actual HTML.
What You Can Do with HTML?
This is a Short List of what you can do with HTML
- You can publish well formatted documents online with images, text,video, audio, lists, tables, and more.
- With hyperlinks, you can view images, videos or other HTML documents .
- You can create forms to collect user inputs like name, e-mail address, comments, and more.
- With HTML5 Web Storage, your website can be accessable even without an internet connection.
- With HTML Geolocation, you can find the current location of your website’s visitor.
- You can create online games with HTML
- There are lots of cool things you can do with HTML.
HTML was developed by Tim Berners-Lee in 1990. You can view the first website by visiting http://info.cern.ch/.
In the various tutorials that follow, I will guide you through the fundamentals of HTML and How To use it to create your own website.