How secure is your Website?
Your website is like your home. Would you ever leave the doors unlocked? Probably not. Would you let just anyone come to your home without knowing who they are and what their intentions are? I don’t think so.
So since you’d most likely make sure your home has a very strong lock, you should make sure your website is locked down as well.
So what are the steps you should take to ensure that your website is secure.
- Keep WordPress updated. The great thing about WordPress is that it is being worked on 24/7 by world class developers. Since WordPress is considered the Best Open Source CMS Platform that powers MILLIONS of Websites and Blogs, there are also a lot of hackers that target the platform. It’s like a game of Cat and Mouse. Just when the Hackers catch up WordPress is updated to a more secure version. BUT, if you don’t update your site then you are leaving yourself open to get HACKED!
- Keep your Plugins Updated Too. The above advice needs to be followed for Plugins as well. Updates tend to fix issues that might have been found in older versions of the plugins.
- About those Plugins. Make sure you install plugins that are secure. How do you do that. Look at the reviews first, Checkout how often they get updated and ask some WordPress Pro’s that you respect.
- Again with Plugins. You really shouldn’t have too many plugins installed. Plugins can make your website do more than you could ever imagine. BUT, each plugin developer has a different level of expertise and sometimes plugins can conflict. Also too many plugins can slow down your website and open up security holes in your site.
- Backup your Website Often. What would you do if all your content disappeared overnight? You’d be pissed as would I. So make sure you backup often.
- Get a good Security Plugin. There are a bunch of them that do a solid job and at the end of this post I will provide a list of those I recommend.
- Get Reviewed. You are an expert in your craft. You have studied and trained to get where you are today. The question is have you put in the same amount of time learning about WordPress? Do you know what coding language WordPress is coded in? Do you know about SQL Injection, Cross Site Scripting, Brute Force Attacks and the multitude of threats that exist online? If the answer is no then you might want to consider getting your website reviewed. Maybe you don’t need a new website but just a few tweaks to fine tune your website and make it more secure.
As Promised here are my recommended plugins:
- Better WP Security
- Bulletproof Security
- All in One WP Security
These are just a few plugins that can get you started. Now the trick is to configure them properly. These Plugins have really good documentation to get you going in the right direction.
If you want to have your website reviewed, we are running a special of $200 for a thorough Website Review that will go over your website to determine if there are any issues that need to be addressed.