In this article and video, I talk about Freelancing as a Web Developer in 2018. I cover some of the most important topics a freelancer has to consider, the pros and cons, along with some of my tips and advice from my years working as a full time freelance web developer who works from home.
The Pros of being a Freelance Web Developer are
This is a short list of pros to freelancing as a web developer.
- the freedom you have
- working from home
- control of your time
- you get to choose your projects
- and the one most freelancers love, is they have no boss.
The Cons of Freelancing as a Web Developer
This is just a few things that can make freelancing, tough.
- there is no guarantee of work
- no health benefits or pension plan
- working alone can be a pro but can also be an issue if you get stumped on a project and need some help
- staying motivated as a freelancer and being disciplined with your time management can be tough
What does it take to be a good freelance Web Developer?
Some of the key traits you’ll need are;
- good time management skills
- desire to always be learning
- ability to tune out distractions
- ability to self motivate
- good money management skills
- marketing both online and offline
- willingness to work 80+ hours a week.
Getting Started as a Freelance Web Developer
Choose a niche, create your business plan, build your brand online and offline, let the world know you exist.
How do you find work as a Freelance Web Developer?
One of the first places people turn to is the Job sites online where services are offered at extremely affordable prices. This can be a good source of revenue if you can find a way to dominate the platforms algorithm.
Social media is another place where you can find leads as a freelancer.
Word of mouth and offline networking, is one of the best ways to find work.
Blogging and Guest blogging can help you with your SEO strategy.
If you have money, you may want to consider advertising online and off.
My Tips for Freelancing as a Web Developer
- Always learn from your last project.
- Stay on top of the latest trends in web development.
- Have clear communication with your clients.
- Lock down your pricing strategy.
- Save and Invest 20% of what you make.
- Master Time Management.
- Master the tools you use as a freelance web developer.
- Realize that you’re a Lead Generator, Sales Person, Project Manager and Customer Service Specialists.
- Learn how to be organized so you can maximize your workflow.
- Develop a thick skin since you will hear more no’s than yes’s. You have to stay motivated and confident.
Freelancing as a Web Developer in 2018 can be very lucrative if you treat it like a business, enjoy it and make it what you focus on, on a daily basis.
Hopefully you found this article helpful and got a chance to watch the video where I talk more in depth on the topic of being a freelance web developer.
If you found it helpful, feel free to share with others and of course, subscribe.