Here is a definitive answer to why we need more coders.
We live in a world where virtually every single device has a computer chip in it and is connected to the internet. It’s labeled the IOT – Internet of Things. We need coders to write the software to power all these devices.
Check Out the Video
Here is a list of connected devices
- smart phones
- washing machines
Each of these devices need to have software that is programmed by coders. There are a variety of programming languages that can be used for both hardware to function and for websites & apps to operate.
Here is an incomplete list of Programming Languages
- Assembly Language – low level programming language for computers
- Bash – command line interface for unix, linux and OS X operating systems
- Command Prompt / Powershell – Windows version of Command Line Interface
- C – General purpose programming language
- C++ – General purpose programming language
- C# – General purpose programming language. Developed by Microsoft
- HTML – The skeleton of the web
- CSS – adds style to HTML.
- PHP – Server side programming language. Coding language used by WordPress, Facebook and many large websites.
- Perl – High level, general purpose programming language
- Python – High level, general purpose programming language.
- Java – general purpose programming language.
- Ruby – Object Oriented Language. General Purpose
- Swift – Language created by Apple
This is an incomplete list. To get a thorough list, check out Wikipedia’s Programming List It provides a detailed list of languages with complete descriptions.
Coding In School
We should be educating kids from an early age how to think like a programmer. Coding takes a long time to master. Typically it can take 10 years or 10,000 hours before you can master most topics. This is why, if we want our youth to be prepared for the jobs of tomorrow, then we need to get started today.
Some countries are already investing heavily in educating kids from as early as 7 or 8 years old. These kids will be Elite Programmers by the time they enter college.
While many people may be learning to program, highly skilled programmers are in high demand and there is a shortage of them. We are entering the age of AI Artificial Intelligence. Companies will need to ensure it has programmers that can meet the demands that we will be facing.
We need more programmers. That is a fact. You can teach yourself to program for free online with resources like YouTube and there are a bunch of low cost paid websites that can help you learn to code.
The idea for this article came from the Q&A Website Quora. I answered a user’s question there about this topic and wanted to share it with the readers of PixemWeb. Here is a link to the answer I provided on Quora. Quora Answer
Hopefully you enjoyed this article. If you did, then please share with your friends on Social Media.